Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I. Love. This. Gig.

I need your help.  If you have a moment, can you scroll to the end and read the last section before you leave?
Thanks again,
Q

Well, up until this month, I have only updated this blog once a month.

However, that leaves me with a lot of scatter-brained ideas that I try to cram into a long, boring post.

Since when are blogs suppose to be boring?

They ain't.

"Be Interesting" - Matt Cutts


I learn more in a day than I could blog about in a week. 
Who has ever made the mistake of calling me humble?

When I put up my last post I was pretty bummed.  

I now have more than one page sitting on the first page of Google for key terms (which I never thought that would happen).

But I was making less money than I did last month.

More visitors  +  Less $$ = sad lostcyclingdude

So I spent the middle of this month trying to increase my conversion rate of visitors.

Conversion is awesome 
I went back through my list of site changes.  I found two key things.

A.  On one site, I had set up more -ahem- agressive ads - and made the theme darker to make it prettier.  However, since my site colors now matched my made one of my themes darker and I had set up more convenient ads.   It was prettier, but the same color of ad.  I took the site back to a lighter color that let the ads "pop" more.  

I double my conversion rate on that site.  My people could see the ads.

Plus, the color variation was easier on the eyes, allowing people to stay on my site longer.  My pretty colors were scaring my visitors away.  

B. My site with the most traffic also tends to give me the biggest-paying clicks.  I began looking at my pages more carefully, and realized that most of my pages had no ads on them.

That. Exactly.  Thousands of words of content, but no ads.  Apparently, my wordpress design (theme) had some sort've coding bug that was interfering with my ability to display ads.  

I brushed off my coding skills and set about inserting the ads manually.  Oh, my, but it is a beautiful thing!

So, I'm excited about my end-of month report!

Giving Back
At my real job, sometimes they want us to offer products to our customer's that we - as customer service reps - are certain our customer's will hate.  However, you have to put it out there.  And, sometimes you find that it is an excellent idea that your customer's actually go crazy over.

I'm trying to focus on giving customer's the things they need.  Do the interwebz need another blog about solar energy? I checked, and yes, they do.   The web world needs my insight.  It needs my research.  It needs my passion.
"The Interwebz Needs Your Insight" -The LostCyclist

If you are just playing Google's game, you won't last.  I fear for some of my sites because I started them to "play the game".  But, now, I'm discovering that it's about "giving back". 

Writing with that focus in mind is transforming my pages into something really cool.


Read This
You made it this far? I'm impressed. You must really love me.

Ok, best cool stuff I've ome across has to start with the zenduck (again). Read his "The Secret To Making Money Online"

Somebody told me they're making $1 a month for every 1,000 words they've written.  Dang-A-Monkey, that's a lot of content!  (then Google happened a week ago, and they are making less. tee-hee. love this gig.)

This whole business is all about writing helpful content about important keywords.  These guys focus on "micro-niches" (and they might just be a little spammy) but I love their keyword research strategy. How To Find Keywords

Help Me?
As I mentioned in that last post, I'm starting a blog about Christmas Gifts.  I changed the website name from that crazy-long thing I had in my last post to something easier to read: www.nomorewhitesocks.com 

That's Right. I'm Racist. Only black socks around here.
(They dance better)

This new website will be a last-ditch effort to fill a need, but hopefully my candid reviews are something people will love. 

Next year, I will begin working on this site in August, and get some good videos and stuff up that my viewers can truly appreciate.  

So...Can you check it out for me?  Come back here and let me know what you think about site design and whether the articles are helpful. (Or PM me on facebook or TKA if you are one of my lucky friends.)

I'd love to have your insight.







No comments:

Post a Comment